서브 화면 메인 이미지Archive
Archive
Kim Si-seup
Kim Chang-heup
Han Yong-un
Cho Oh-hyun
Yi Eun-sang
Kim Chang-heup
Authors
Writings
Texts
Kim Chang-heup
문인 프로필 이미지
Kim Chang-heup
His family clan originates from Andong, Gyeongsangbuk-do. His courtesy name was Jaik(子益). His other name was Samyeon(三淵).
 Kim was born in Seoul in 1653. His great-grandfather Kim Sang-heon was of the left prime minister rank, his father Kim Su-hang of the Prime minister rank. His mother, from the Anjeong Nah clan, was the daughter of a Haeju governor named Nah Seong-du. Kim Chang-heup of the Prime minister rank, and Kim Chang-hyeop, a Yejopanseo(the Education minister) were Kim’s older brothers.

 In 1665, at the age of 13, Kim studied under Kim Shi-yang, and at 15, under Lee Dan-sang. At the age of 19, he toured Cheonma Mountain, Seonggeo Mountain, and Geumgang Mountain with his older brother Chang-hyeop. Uninterested in taking the official exam (gwa’geo), he nonetheless took the first level (Jinsashi) at the firm urging of his parents. After passing the first level in 1673, he did not pursue officialdom any further. In 1675, he repeatedly visited his father at his place of exile in Yeong’am, and toured Han’gye Mountain, Wolchul Mountain and Juknimjeong. In 1676, he toured Dogap Mountain on Wolchul Mountain and Baekyeonsa(temple) on Mandeok Mountain, and read books from the Jungheungsa(temple) library on Samgak Mountain. He also sought an interview with Cho Seong-gi. In 1678, Kim went to Cheorwon, to where his father had been transferred, and spent the winter at Daeseung’am on Bogae Mountain in Cheorwon. The following year, he toured Naengcheon and Geumgang Mountain. While residing in Sambuyeon in Yonghwa Village, Cheorwon, he adopted his self-styled 'Samyeon'. During this time, he read the book Yeokhak Gyemong (Enlightenment through Interpretation of The Book of Changes) and wrote Hucheondoseol (Hucheondo Theory). Later, he toured Seokcheonsa(temple) in Yonghwa Village.

 In 1682, Kim built Naksongnu at the southern foot of Baegak Mountain, and started there a poetry gathering for enjoying the surrounding natural landscape with fellow literary men. At this time, Kim was recommended for a government position but he did not pursue the appointment. In 1686, he toured Jeojado in the upper reaches of the Han River, and built a pavilion there at Hyeonseong the following year. In 1689, the year of the Namin Faction’s Overthrow of the Seoin Faction at court, his father was exiled to Jindo and there died, at which point Kim retired to Yeongpyeong. In 1694, his father's official title was restored. He stayed at Songbaekdang in Yangju, and there studied with his brother Chang-hyeop.

 From 1703 to 1722, he was appointed to the office several times, but he didn’t pursue it.

 In his later years, Kim entered Seoraksan, settled down, and studied Juyeok(The Book of Changes). After his older brother Kim Chang-jib, who had been embroiled in political strife and exiled, was ordered by the king to commit suicide by poison, Kim also died from a worsening chronic illness and was buried at Myogok in Pocheon-hyeon. He was posthumously awarded the title ‘Ijopanseo(the Interior Minister)’, and his posthumous name is Mun’gang. His books include Samyeonjip and Shim’yang Diary.
top scroll btn